Wednesday, October 3, 2001

So I'm reading the critial essays in reponse to The Scarlet Letter, right? The author uses the word, 'libido' a *whole* lot in his essay... and when I hear that word, I think Austin Powers 2. You know, the one where Dr. Evil steals Austin's "mojo" (Yes, mojo. The mojo is the life force, the essence, the libido, the "right stuff"... it's what the French call a certain "I don't know what".) So now everytime I see "libido" in the esaay, I can't help but to replace it with "mojo". Heres a little tidbit: "We do not exaggerate the facts of the romance in saying that the question of Dimmesdale's fate, for all its religious decoration, amounts essentially to the question of what use is to be made of his libido mojo." And, "The plain meaning of this outburst is that Dimmesdale has never surmounted the libidinal mojonal urge that produced his sin." And of course, seeing the word "urge", makes me thinking of those damned Herbal Essences shampoo commercials. That, my friends, is what you call quality reading.

"Please don't hurt me. I'm too Jewish to be hit."

No comments: