Thursday, July 4, 2002

Big e-mail numero tres, July 4
Happy Fourth of July!!!

So apparently, I'm only sending out e-mails on holidays. My apologies. I guess that also means that there won't be another e-mail while I'm still here in Taiwan. But, I'm going home in about two weeks anyway, so, no worries right? Yeah! I'm excited about going back home. It's been fun here, but I miss all you people. Scary, but true =)

So how's it going back in the states anyway? Anything exciting happen while I'm gone? I hope not cause I should be in town for all that.

Let's see. Update. I had surgery two days ago. You know, heart transplant, but nothing too serious. Wait, no. That wasn't me. (Too much E.R.) Um. But I had to get a bumpy removed from my elbow (no Carla, it's not condensed milk), and this rock-like thing removed from my side. It all went well, but now I have stitches and I can't roll over on my right side. Bugger. After the doctor cut out the thing and put stitches in, he was all, "Hey look! It's like a millepede!" And I was like, "Hey! That really doesn't make me feel any better!" But that's done and over with so I'm happy.

Chinese school ended last week. It's been grand being able to sleep in now, though it does waste the entire day. But as David would like to think, "If we weren't gonna do anything anyway, then why not sleep." I totally agree. The only bad part is, I share a room with my grandmother and my mom and they get up at the buttcrack of dawn and they turn off the air conditioning. So by noon (the time when normal people on vacation get up), it's hot as hell in the room. One of the worst feelings in the world is waking up all hot and sweaty. And it's super great cause I can't just hop on into the shower like I usually do because I can't get my wounds wet. It's fun, I tell ya.

I can't really think of anything else that we've done here so far. I'm halfway through my fifth summer reading book. "One Hundred Years of Solitude"... it's not a bad book, but all of the characters' names are very similar and stupid people like me get them all confused. Brar.

I've watched a whole bunch of movies since the last time I said that I've watched a whole bunch of movies. We saw Minority Report, which was pretty good. David bought a lot of VCDs for no more that 3 bucks each. They aren't the best quality, but we figure that it's cheaper then renting movies at home, so yeah. We saw the first "Blade", "Se7en", "American Pie", and "Debonair. Defiant. Defrosted". The last one is also known as "Austin Powers: IMoM". What a cool translated title.
Other movies with bad translated titles:
"Austin Powers" --> "Debonair. Defiant. Defrosted."
"I Am Sam" --> "He's Not Stupid, He's my Father"
"Top Gun" --> "Wow! What a Big Gun"
"Babe" --> "I'm Not Stupid, I Can Talk"
"Bless the Child" --> "Bless the Chills"
"NSYNC (not really a movie...)" --> "Super Boys"

Those really are the literal translations too.

Speaking of bad translations, I've begun to speak Engrish. After just a month of being here, my English has gone from poor to good-god-that's-bad. For example, "I'm ready of this Beach." I'll explain...

My mom, David, my mom's friends and I went to the beach this past weekend. It's a nice place, but the beach there was absolutely horrendous. It was *so* gross. Not gross like, ew, lots of seaweed gross, but gross like, wading around in ginger ale cans and trash gross *and* seaweed gross. Plus, to top it off, there were old fat men in small speedos there too. The beach looked gorgeous from afar and we had a nice view, and our hotel room was very very nice, but it was just disgusting up close. "It's like a Monet." It's kinda funny too because on the gate leading into the beach, there was a sign that said "No Food". Hrm. You'd think that such a nice... area, people would care enough to clean up some of the nasty. Anyway... back to my bad English. So David and I were walking across trash-infested beach, Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious" was playing, and you know the part where she's like "I don't think you're ready for this jelly"? Well I was thinking, "I'm ready to get off this dirty-ass be ach" but it just came out wrong. Get it? I tell crappy stories.

So we were at the beach on Sunday and left on Monday afternoon. David and I went swimming on Monday morning. We both got sunburned. Thing is, I've never gotten sunburned in my entire life. And I got it bad this time. It hurt like poop yesterday and the day before. Felt like I had bruises all over my arms and shoulder and back. And then I got surgery so it felt even better then it already did. I love life.

So what's happening for everyone tonight for Fourth of July? Going to downtown to watch fireworks along with just about every other Nashvillian so there really aren't any places to sit and enjoy the fireworks which defeats the purpose of why you went there in the first place? This is how we celebrated.
Tammy: What's Today?
David: Monday was the first, so today's the Fourth. Hey, it's fourth of July.
Tammy: Yeah. Happy Indepdence Day.
David: Yeah, whatever.
We love our country.

Umm... I guess that's about all I can think of. I know I will forget something as soon as I send this out. But I'm sure you all will hear about it one way or another, sooner or later. But. I'm gonna go now and sleep on my left side. See most of you soon!!!

Love,
Tammy =)

No comments: