Sunday, August 4, 2002

A sad moth story:

Last week, my mom and I decided to swimming at around 9:15 at night. My mom wants to learn how to swim and she thinks it will be good exercise for her, and I just like to be in water. So as my mom and I got to the pool, I jumped right in, but my mom got a call on her cell phone. I decided to waddle around in the shallow end. Since it was dark out, the pool lights are turned on at the shallow end (I think the other side's are broken). Nocturnal bugs are, of course, drawn to the lights and fly toward it, but much to their dismay, they discover themselves trapped in a giant pool of chlorine. And this is when our hero, Tammy, comes in to save the day (Cue MightyMouse theme song). I've never been a big fan of the arthropoda phylum, in fact, looking at pictures of insects usually make me squirm. However, I was in a very save-the-drowning-moths-from-the-pool mood that night. So as my mom is talking on her phone, I am in the pool, trying to scoop out all of the poor little moths that are desperately trying to get out but in vain. I managed to save about 4 of them with ease, but then there was one that I had to struggle to get out. Finally, after many attempts, I scoop out the moth out near my mom's feet. I felt a wave of satisfation and relief knowing that I saved one more moth come over me. I looked at that moth, drying itself off, smiled at it and decided to name it Bob. Then, I swam a few feet away to rescue another bug when, in the corner of my eye, I saw my mother pick up a shoe and savagely beat Bob to death before I could say anything. I had just witnessed the horrid murder of my new friend by my own mother. And of course, she didn't know what she had done wrong because she was still on her damn phone. I was seriously upset. It was not a good night.
The end.

No comments: