Thursday, September 4, 2003

I just spent way too much time on reading one of the most painful pieces of literature. Painful as in, "God, when does this essay end? Someone please make it stop."

And don't think that you can get away without reading a little excerpt...

"The Incapacity, if there be any, is acquired not natural; and none of their Follies are so necessary, but that they might avoid them if they pleas'd themselves. Some disadvantages indeed they labour under, and what these are we shall see by and by and endeavour to surmount; but Women need not take up with mean things, since (if they are not wanting to themselves) they are capable of the best. Neither God nor Nature have excluded them from being Ornaments to their Families and useful in their Generation; there is therefore no reason they should be content to be Cyphers in the World, useless at the best, and in a little time a burden and nuisance to all about them."

Oh yeah, I had to read A Serious Proposal to the Ladies by "A Lover of Her SEX" (Mary Astell) for my writing class on the Rhetoric of Feminism. My professor warned us that this was going to be the worst thing we'll read all semseter, and I wouldn't doubt that she was right. It was a short essay, no more than maybe 20 pages, but it took me almost 2 hours to finish because I had to keep reading and re-reading certain paragraphs since I couldn't understand what the hell she was saying. Granted, it was written in th 1600's but c'mon! I was so close to throwing my book into the washing machine and leaving it there. *Sigh* And it's only the second week of school.

I'm actually reading stuff for class now. I haven't done that since... oh wait, I've never done that! But anyway, I really should get back to finishing up the rest of my homework. Byebye!

[And from Molly's away message: "I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long."

No comments: