Sunday, March 31, 2002

Actual AT&T phone conversation from this morning:

AT&T (in Mandarin): Hi, this is AT&T and I want to tell you about our great international long distance rates. Do you call outside of the country a lot?
Mom: We mostly call Taiwan and Hong Kong.
AT&T: Oh really? Well, we've got the perfect plan for you. Now, calls to Taiwan and most parts of Asia are only 12 cents a minute.
Mom: Well, calls using the phone company we use right now are only 4 cents a minute.
AT&T: Yeah... but our long distance international plan is really good!

If it was me who answered the phone:

AT&T (in Mandarin): Hi, this is AT&T and may I please speak to the owner of the house?
Me (in English): What?
AT&T (in Mandarin): Is your mom home?
Me: What?
AT&T (in Mandarin): Do you speak Chinese
Me: What? I don't understand what you are saying.
AT&T (in English): Oh. I sorry. I call back. *click*

See? So much easier. And if American AT&T people call, I just pretend I don't speak English. Works like a charm.

No comments: