Monday, April 28, 2003

I am listening to "Left and Leaving" by the Weakerthans (David - you got me to like them, it's all your fault), and it makes me think a lot about... life, relationships, friends, everything...

My city's still breathing (but barely it's true)
Through buildings gone missing like teeth.
The sidewalks are watching me think about you,
All sparkled with broken glass.
I'm back with scars to show.
Back with the streets I know.
Will never take me anywhere but here.
Those stains in the carpet, this drink in my hand,
The strangers whose faces I know.
We meet here for our dress-rehearsal to say "I wanted it this way,"
Wait for the year to drown.
Spring forward, fall back down.
I'm trying not to wonder where you are.
All this time lingers, undefined.
Someone choose who's left and who's leaving.
Memory will rust and erode into lists of all that you gave me:
A blanket, some matches, this pain in my chest,
The best parts of Lonely, duct-tape and soldered wires,
New words for old desires,
And every birthday card I threw away.
I wait in 4/4 time.
Count yellow highway lines that you're relying on to lead you home.

It's weird thinking about how my "high-school days" are numbered, and how I'm graduating in a few short days. I go through 12 years of school to wait for this moment to arrive, and when it finally does... I'm not happy or excited. Granted, high school is becoming a serious pain in the ass and it makes me angry having to go there every day and not do shit for 7 hours. But maybe it's the people. Maybe it's my friends. Emma asked me today if I ever became famous, would I forget about all my friends from back in the day. And I don't think I can. My friends are the people that make me who I am right now. I think back on these past four years and I think about all the different groups of friends that I have met and how each one of them added to my personality. I wonder if I will be as goofy and dorky if it weren't for them, you know? It's a bittersweet feeling. Sure, I'll probably make new friends in college, but it will be hard for me to forget about the people here. I mean, who else can tolerate my atrocious sense of humor? It's a suprise that people would even want to be friends with me to begin with... I wonder if we will still keep in touch 10 years from now... who knows? When people move away, they meet new people, new friends, and they grow apart... it's almost inevitable. And as much as I would like to keep in touch with all of them, I don't know if it will really happen. But hopefully, it can. So as we all go our separate ways, all I can say is that, Sivan, David, Esther, Lauren, Ruth, Emma, Lizzy, Molly, Heather, Danny, Harry, Carla, Erin, Ethan, Ari, Lindsey, Kimia, Emily, Steven, Lane, Jen, Sharon, Addison, Ali, Emelie, Nan, Gaby, Amy, Tina, Chris, Tom, Shi-won, Ken, Nicole, Sue, Eric, and any of you whom I've come to know and love.... Thank you for making me who I am.

Sorry if I just activated all of your gag reflexes. I promise I won't do another post like this in a long time. (Actually, I may have to do something like this in the speech I have to give during baccalaureate a couple weeks from today. Awesome.)

Alright, I think you've had enough. I'm gonna go mope around some now. Toodles~

Me: Awww you guys, what if I never find friends like you in college?
Friends: Oh, don't worry... You're not.

No comments: